Watermelon Agua Fresca is the perfect drink to keep you cool this summer with the smooth, crisp flavor of fresh watermelon! You are going to LOVE how crazy delicious and easy to make this is!
What is Agua Fresca?
Agua Fresca originates from Mexico and Central America and translates to “cool water.” Unlike a juice or smoothie, agua fresca is fresh fruit added to water to give it crisp, delicious flavor without being overpowering! With watermelon being one of my favorite summer fruits, I thought it would be a perfect choice for this drink! I love that it doesn’t have any artificial flavors and it is SO refreshing for the dog days of summer we are experiencing here in Utah!
I have been using watermelon in a lot of my cooking lately. Gotta take advantage of them being in season! It has the best texture and flavor, and helps keep you hydrated which is perfect for hot weather! I have loved having my watermelon salad and watermelon and feta salad for cool summer meals. So much fruity goodness in this watermelon Agua Fresca!
Watermelon Agua Fresca Ingredients
You will probably only need fresh watermelon to put this watermelon Agua Fresca drink together. It is that easy! For all the measurements to the ingredients scroll to the recipe card.
- Watermelon: 4 cups cubed with seeds removed. See tips for picking the best watermelon below!
- Water: This drink works best with cold water.
- Sugar: For sweetness to taste.
- Lime Juice: You can use bottled lime juice, but I recommend using the juice of one lime for extra fresh flavor.
- Lime and Mint Garnish: Looks great and tastes great too!
Making Your Agua Fresca
- Blend: In a blender add the watermelon and water and blend.
- Add Sugar: Add in sugar and lime juice and mix.
- Garnish: Garnish with lime wedges and mint.
- Serve: Best served chilled.
Should you Strain Agua Fresca?
It is up to you and a great option! Watermelon Agua Fresca is light and refreshing summertime drink. Agua Fresca means “fruit water”. To make this Agua Fresca even better, using a strainer will help remove the fleshy part of the watermelon that is not blending all the way in the blender. This will leave the watermelon juice a watery texture and thin like substance without having any solids in the drink. This is optional, and can be helpful with the taste and texture from the watermelon.
Picking Your Watermelon and Making the Best Agua Fresca
A ripe watermelon makes all the difference in the quality of your drink. Follow these tips to make your Agua Fresca taste incredible!
- Watermelon: The best watermelons will be deep green with clearly defined stripes. Also, opt for more dull-looking watermelons. If they are too shiny, it likely means they are not ripe yet. Go for the heaviest watermelons, too. This means they have more water content in them.
- Cutting: Follow the shape of the watermelon when cutting them open. This way, you will only cut the rind off and not excess fruit. Once the rind is completely cut off, you should be left with a nice, round ball of watermelon. Cut this in half and lay the flat side on the cutting board. Now you can easily cut it into cubes!
- Agua Fresca Flavors: Try substituting the fruit in your agua fresca for guava, mango, papaya, and pineapple to make other amazing, tropical flavors. You can also use other flavors like horchata to make a more traditional version of the recipe.
I always like to pair drinks like these with a salad in the summer. It helps cool me down and is such a tasty combination! For a Mexican-inspired meal, serve your Agua Fresca with my family favorite corn salad! This drink also pairs well with fruit-based salads like my strawberry avocado salad. Summer party-ready, try serving this up with skewers and antipasto salad. No one will be leaving hungry!
Storing Watermelon Agua Fresca
In a closed pitcher, you can keep your Watermelon Agua Fresca for up to 3 days in the fridge. Separation may occur, so make sure to stir before serving.
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 4 cups watermelon cubed and seeds removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4- 1/2 cup sugar
- Juice of one lime
- lime slices and mint for garnish
In a blender add the watermelon and water and blend. Add in sugar and lime juice and mix.
Garnish with lime wedges and mint. Serve chilled.
The Recipe Critic