- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 ½ tablespoons of water
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved (8 cups)***
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch mixture and allow the berries to stand for 30 minutes, until the juices of the berries have been drawn out a bit. Pour the fruit filling into a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and set on a sturdy baking sheet to catch any overflowing cake batter or crumbles. Meanwhile make the crumble topping.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Using your fingers, break the butter and form the mixture into a coarse clumps or “crumbles”.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt thoroughly in a medium bowl. In a beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Beat in the vanilla extract and scrape down the bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the batter in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. If you do not have buttermilk, you can use yogurt as a substitute!
- Spread the batter over the fruit filling to the edges of the baking dish. Sprinkle generously with the crumb topping and bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The fruit filling will be bubbling, the crumb topping should be golden and test the doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean it is done! Allow the cake to cool on a cooling rack. You can serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream or eat it plain.
Leave a Reply