- 250 milliliters double cream
- 75 milliliters full-fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar, plus 3- 4 tbsp for the topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
- Put the cream, milk and vanilla pod into a pan and heat to boiling point. Cover and leave to infuse for 10 mins.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 3 tbsp of sugar together until pale and thick. Add the vanilla extract and pour the boiling cream onto the mixture.
- Stir well, then pour into two ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a bain marie and cook in the oven for about 20 mins or until just set.
- Leave to cool.
- Heat the grill. Sprinkle the cold brûlée with a thin, even layer of sugar, and caramelise under the very hot grill (or use a blowtorch). Repeat several times until you have a golden crackling topping. Leave to cool and serve within 2 hrs.