- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in almonds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and almond extract; stir into flour mixture. (Dough will appear very dry but will come together when kneaded.) If the dough will just not stick together, add water one tablespoon at a time until the dough just stays together.
- The dough will be very sticky, so have your surfaced floured and baking sheet ready before you start to knead the dough. Transfer dough to a floured work surface; knead until smooth.
- Divide dough in half; shape into two logs, each about 1 ½ inches high and 2 ½ inches wide. The logs will spread out a little, so keep this in mind. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet (or silicone mats), and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake the logs until they are puffed and outside is firm (the tops may crack), about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the logs crosswise, 1/4 inch thick. Lay slices on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until crisp and lightly golden, rotating pans and turning biscotti over halfway through, 20 minutes total.
- Cool completely before serving or storing.