- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of penne pasta (but you can use anything!!)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- In saucepan melt butter over medium. Saute onion and red pepper about a min. Add garlic saute for another min or two. Add smoked salmon saute 2 min. Bring the temp up a notch and add cream, milk, salt, pepper, thyme, 1/2 the parm cheese. Reduce to low. Stir gently about 5 min until it thickens a bit. Dont let it boil but don’t freak out about it either. Remove from heat and keep warm. Cook pasta el dente of course. Pour sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Takes about 20 min. I double it as this is only for 2. Don’t expect a thick sauce, the joy of it is the lightness and the flavor. You can also add anything you want in place of the salmon. I have done scallops, shrimp, vegetarian (replace salmon with mushrooms) use your imagination.
- For lower fat, you can replace whipping cream with 3/4 cup of low fat sour cream (I have never tried it but it is another option)