Roasted parmesan acorn squash is deliciously smooth and loaded with flavor! Mixed with these amazing spices, once this is cooked up, you will have found your own little slice of heaven!
Any vegetables that you can roast up and eat on a dime are winners in my book! This recipe is especially delicious when you serve it with some Chicken and Rice, these perfect rolls, and this yummy salad. Combine them all and you will have a meal to remember!!
Acorn Squash Recipe
It’s almost Fall which means it’s time for apples, pumpkins, and… SQUASH! Squash is one of my favorite things to use in my fall recipes! Acorn squash is one of those vegetables that add such an amazing element to any meal and make for some unique recipes throughout the season! More well-known is probably the butternut squash which is equally delicious but has a slightly different taste and texture. Acorn squash is small and greenish on the outside and yellow-orange on the inside. It is shaped like an… you guessed it! An acorn! Acorn squash is usually baked to obtain the best flavor and texture.
Squash is amazing because you can safely leave it on your counter for a month or two! This means you definitely have time to cook this recipe a time or two! Pick some up when they are on sale and get to this recipe whenever you can! To pick out the perfect acorn squash, you want to look to for one that is equal parts orange AND green. All green means that it’s not quite ripe enough and too much orange means that it is overripe. A combo of the two makes for the perfect acorn squash! Once you have picked out the perfect one, you can roast up that acorn squash to perfection! This recipe is absolutely delicious and it will definitely be one that you make again and again!
Ingredients for Roasted Acorn Squash
The ingredients that you need to roast acorn squash are simple! Open up your spice cupboard and I am sure that you will already have most of these ingredients which will make this recipe extra quick! See the recipe card below for a list of exact ingredient measurements.
- Acorn squash: Before baking these, you will need to deseed them and cut them up into quarters!
- Olive oil: This will help your spices stick to the squash, creating that amazing flavor!
- Parmesan: Cheese is a MUST to complete this recipe!
- Parsley, thyme and garlic powder: A combination of spices that bring out a delicious earthy flavor.
- Cayenne pepper: This will create some spice without too much heat.
- Salt and pepper: These will enchance the taste of all of the other ingredients!
How to Roast Acorn Squash with Parmesan
Making this recipe only takes a few minutes! It’s super simple and the longest part is just waiting for it to bake! You will love how roasting these squash makes them taste SOO good!
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay the acorn squash on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine and coat: In a small bowl combine oil, parmesan, parsley, salt, garlic powder, thyme, cayenne, and pepper. Then, drizzle the mixture over the squash until it’s evenly coated.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for 30-38 minutes or until tender and browned.
How to Eat Savory Acorn Squash
Because squash can be cooked in SO many different ways, a common question that I get asked is about how to eat it! Here are a few ways that you can enjoy this amazing roasted parmesan squash! Whichever way you prefer will taste delightful!
- Can I eat the skin? Yes! When squash is roasted whole like this, the skin becomes soft enough to eat and is super tasty!
- Can I eat it WITHOUT the skin? Yes, again! If eating the skin of veggies isn’t your thing, no worries! When a roasted squash is done baking, the peel is so soft that it separates from the meat quite easily. This makes it easy to eat without the skin!
Variations of Easy Acorn Squash
Roasted squash can be made into a sweet or savory dish. The variety is one of the very reasons that I love it so much! Here are a few ideas to switch this up a little bit!
- Add greens and feta: Make a salad with it! Get some greens and feta cheese and cut up this roasted squash and mix it all together. It will make an amazing salad!
- Make it sweet: Add some syrup. Yep, you read that right, add syrup! Instead of using these spices, cut your acorn squash up into quarters and sprinkle 1 tsp of brown sugar down the center of each quarter. Once you’ve done that, then drizzle some maple syrup on top and bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until squash is tender!
- Bake up the seeds: Don’t let any part of this acorn squash go to waste! When you deseed the squash, rinse the seeds and dry them off with a paper towel. Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle them with some oil and sprinkle on some garlic salt. Pop them in the oven for 325 degrees for about 15-20 minutes and you will have some delicious seeds to eat alongside your roasted parmesan acorn squash!
How to Store Yellow Roasted Squash
I’m not sure that you will have any leftovers because this is so delicious! But if you do, here is how you can properly store and reheat them.
- Refrigerator: After your squash has cooled, store them in an airtight container and place them in your fridge. They will last 3-5 days.
- Reheating: To reheat, broil for 2-4 minutes or until the squash have golden edges.
Roasted Parmesan Acorn Squash
- 4 acorn squashes quartered and deseeded
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay the acorn squash on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl combine oil, parmesan, parsley, salt, garlic powder, thyme, cayenne, and pepper.
Drizzle the mixture over the squash until it’s evenly coated. Place in the oven and bake for 30-38 minutes or until tender and browned.
The Recipe Critic
Leave a Reply