- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks
- 6 7 ounces pears peeled, cored, chopped (1 pear, firm but ripe)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyére cheese cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten to blend (for glaze)
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; stir 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until leeks begin to brown, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in pear and sugar. Increase heat to medium; saute uncovered until any liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; cool.
- Stir in cheese and chives. Set aside.
- Place puff pastry sheets on work surface. Using 4 1/2-inch-diameter tartlet-pan rim or bowl as aid, cut out 4 rounds from each pastry sheet. Roll out each pastry round to 5-inch circle.
- Place leek mixture on half of each pastry round, dividing equally.
- Brush pastry edges with egg glaze. Fold pastry over filling, pressing to adhere. Press edges with fork to seal.
- Brush turnovers with egg glaze. Pierce pastry in several places with toothpick. Place on baking sheet. Chill 20 minutes or freeze until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Bake turnovers until puffed and golden, about 18 minutes. Serve warm.