- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup (½ stick) butter, melted
- 1 . butternut squash
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly grated nutmeg, or
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Salt and pepper (freshly ground)
- 4 shallots, peeled and minced
- Cut squash into eights, discarding seeds. Steam squash for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Scoop flesh from skin and mash lightly. In large saucepan, heat stock to simmer. In another large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add oil, shallots, and cook for 2 minutes. Add rice. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add wine to rice and cook, stirring until wine is nearly absorbed.
- Stir in a cup of stock and the squash; cook at a steady simmer until liquid is nearly absorbed. Continue stirring in stock a ladleful at a time until rice is creamy and firm (15-20 minutes). Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped rosemary. Stir in remaining butter and most of Parmesan. Serve in shallow bowls garnished with remaining cheese and rosemary sprigs.