- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- Juice from 1 1/2 oranges
- 1/2 Orange – i used California oranges
- 1 cup semolina
- 2/3 cup bakers sugar
- To make the cake: Grate the rind from one orange, reserve some for garnish and squeeze the juice from one half. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the orange juice, butter, sugar and almond extract till fluffy and creamy. Add the eggs one by one and beat well. In a separate small mixing bowl, mix the almond meal, semolina and baking powder. Fold this mix into the creamed mixture and spoon it into a greased 9” round baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 35 mins or until a skewer when inserted comes out
- To make the syrup: In a small sauce pan, add the ingredients for the syrup and stir on low heat until sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Simmer and let it thicken till it forms a syrup like consistency. Strain and keep aside.
- Once the cake has cooled, turn it out onto a serving plate. Using a skewer make some holes over the surface of the cake while it is still warm and drizzle 3/4 of the strained syrup over it. Let it stand for 15 mins or so. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and cut into slices. Serve with more syrup on the side.