- 300 g butter at room temperature
- 300 g fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 2 lemons
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 250 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray (30 x 40 cm/ 12 x 15 inch) with baking paper.
- Place the soft butter in the bowl of the stand mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for several minutes.
- Add the eggs one at the time mixing very well before adding the next egg. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl a few times in between.
- Add the zest of the lemon and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Mix together the flour and the baking powder and sieve over the butter-egg mixture. Incorporate carefully.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared tray and bake for about 20 minutes. The cake should remain pale and still lightly moist inside.
- For the glaze mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to obtain a spreadable paste. Spread this over the hot cake working quickly and distribute the sprinkles evenly on top.