- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 cups of half & half
- 1/3 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- Note: if you are using regular lemons, add an additional 1/4 cup of sugar, making it a total of 1 cup of sugar for the custard base.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and butter in the top of a double boiler. Place over simmering water and beat with a hand mixer (unless you are in for a whisking workout) for about 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens. You are basically going for lemon curd here.
- Let the curd cool a bit and then add in your half-and-half. Cover this with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or until thoroughly cold.
- Thinly slice 1 pint of strawberries (tops removed) and toss with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let the strawberries sit for at least 2 hours.
- When your custard, your strawberries and your ice cream machine are ready, pour the strawberries and their liquid into the custard base and mix well. Freeze according to your machine instructions.
- It will come out frozen but soft. If you like your ice cream firmer, then put it in the freezer for a few hours.
- Serve as-is or garnish with a lemon slice.