- 2.5 pint chicken stock
- 7 oz. chorizo chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 7oz. yellow lentils (or red)
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 2 tsp of tomato purée
- In a large pan, heavy bottomed pan heat the oil on a medium high heat and add the shallot and garlic. Fry for a minute or so allowing the shallot and garlic to soften.
- Add the chorizo and stir through giving it about 30 seconds to give off its colour and flavour. If you are using raw chorizo you may wish to give it a little bit more time here. Remember though, it will have enough time to cook through later.
- Add the thyme, tomato purée, paprika powder and lentils. Stir the lentils though and then add the stock.
- Add a little bit of salt and some black pepper. Cover your soup and allow it to simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and softened to your taste.
- Check for seasoning and serve.
- Tips and Variations
- • If you leave the soup to stand for a while or overnight (which makes the flavour even better), you may find that it becomes thicker. Just add a little water and stir through before heating up. Be careful not to add so much water that you dilute the flavour as well as the consistency.
Leave a Reply