Air Fryer Cod will change the way you eat fish! Crispy golden outside and flakey tender inside, you are going to love this!
Air Fryer Cod Filets
Air frying fish is one of the best ways to cook this delicate tender meat. The air fryer basket is perfect, it allows the circulating air to cook the outside and the inside while keeping the fish intact. So many times I have lost chunks down between the slats of a grill or they stick to the pan. Air frying gives you delicate delightful fish that looks and tastes better than any restaurant. The panko breading is perfectly seasoned and the cheese adds a touch of saltiness and nuttiness. It’s so easy to make and tastes just as delicious!
Air fried parmesan cod is the perfect dinner choice. It has a light mild flavor and it is good for you. Serve it up with some rice, vegetables, or potatoes and a nice salad. Perfect for a busy weekday or a nice weekend dinner. Put this air fryer cod in your recipe rotation.
Ingredients for Parmesan Cod
Fresh and basic, this Cod could not be any easier or taste any better! It is so good!
- Cod Fillets: You can use fresh or frozen.
- Salt and Pepper: Season just to taste.
- Flour: All purpose or unbleached will work.
- Eggs: Large lightly beaten.
- Salt: Adds flavor
- Panko: I do not recommend breadcrumbs but they will work.
- Parmesan: Grated will stick best to the fish.
- Bay Seasoning: A classic flavoring for fish.
- Garlic Powder: Adds more flavor.
- Olive oil spray: Use this only if you need it.
Making Crispy Air Fryer Cod
Super easy parmesan cod is going to become a family favorite!
- Cod: Pat the cod dry and salt and pepper.
- Breading Station: Create a breading station for the fish. In one bowl add the flour. In the second whisk together the eggs and salt. Then in the last bowl add the Panko, parmesan cheese, old bay seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Flour: First dip the cod in the flour.
- Egg: Then in the egg mixture.
- Panko: And lastly in the panko.
- Air Fryer: Spray the bottom of your basket with olive oil. Place the fish in the basket of your air fryer.
- Bake: Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Carefully flip the fish. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
Tips For Dipping and Breading Cod
Breading any food can be messy. Here is sure fire way to at least keep it manageable.
- One hand: With one hand dip the cod into the flour mixture and coat evenly. Using the same hand dip it into the egg mixture, shake off any excess egg. Then drop into the panko mixture.
- The Other Hand: Use your other dry hand to press the panko into the cod evenly and all over. Coat it well. Then you place in the air fryer basket. Repeat.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Parmesan Cod
I love cooking with an air fryer for lots of reasons but one of them is that it is hard to mess up your food. Air frying makes it easy to make luscious meals, every single time.
- Don’t Over Crowd: Given the fish space to breath, if they are too close together, they will steam instead of “fry”
- Cod: Use a good quality cod fillet. Fresh or frozen is fine. You don’t them too thin or the fish won’t have time to crisp up before it starts to dry out. Thaw frozen cod according to package directions. Pat both dry with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture. This will help the crust crisp nicely.
- Oil: Using oil is optional but can help it become crispy. Use an oil only spray. Not a non-stick spray, such as pam, they have additives that will ruin your air fryer.
- Panko: Panko bread crumbs are larger and absorb less moisture so they will produce the best crust. It will be crispy and golden. Regular breadcrumbs will not give you the same results.
- Fish: This will work with any type of white fish and turn out amazing. Think snapper, tilapia, bass and haddock.
What to Serve Crispy Air Fryer Parmesan Cod with
This crispy cod is awesome all by itself but you can add to it as you like.
- Sauce: Tartar sauce is a fan favorite. Malt vinegar, ranch, yum yum sauce, or a squeeze of lemon might be all you need.
- Use it in: Use this fried cod for fish tacos, mix into a salad, or make a fish sandwich to remember.
How to Store Cod Filets
Keep leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes or till heated through. It won’t have the same crunchiness but it will still be good. Crispy Air Fryer Cod is best right out of the air fryer.
More Seafood Favorites
We love a good seafood recipe at our house. Even the kids love it. Fish is a healthy protein that is good to put in your mix of recipes on a weekly basis. Some seafood is rich like lobster and some is mild and light like shrimp. Whatever you prefer to eat I have a recipe for you. Here are a few tried and true to get you started.
- Incredible Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Amazing Creamy Tuscan Garlic Scallops
- The Best Lobster Tail Ever!
- Sticky Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Easy Salmon Croquettes
Air Fryer Cod
- 1 pound cod filets
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Panko
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- olive oil spray if needed
Salt and pepper the cod filets.
Create a breading station for the fish. In one bowl add the flour. In the second bowl whisk together the eggs and salt. In the last bowl add the Panko, parmesan cheese, old bay seasoning, and garlic powder.
First dip the cod in the flour.
Then in the egg mixture.
And lastly in the Panko.
Spray the bottom of your basket with olive oil. Place the fish in the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Carefully flip the fish. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
The Recipe Critic