This homemade half and half is easy and it takes less than 5 minutes to make . Keep this recipe on hand, and you will never have to buy this at the store again!
I love having simple and easy recipes on hand. You can use this half and half in so many recipes. And… you won’t have to run to the store to grab any if you’re out! Use this half and half in this chicken, this alfredo sauce, or even this delicious breakfast casserole!
Homemade Half and Half
Half and half is a delightful blend of milk and cream and is something that so many different recipes call for. Yet, I never seem to have enough on hand! Enter this homemade recipe. I wanted to tell you exactly how you can make half and half at home so that you are ready for any recipe! Plus, it’s an excellent substitute for heavy cream in any recipe!
This homemade recipe use two ingredients (which I almost always have on hand). So that makes it easy to make this whenever I need it! And let’s be honest. The last thing you want to do when making a recipe at home is run to the store for ONE thing. Hopefully, this recipe helps makes your life a little bit easier in times like that!
List of Ingredients
Making this homemade half and half from scratch at home is so simple. You only need two ingredients! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Whole Milk: I’ve tried other milk and it works ok but I think that whole milk works the best because of the high fat content! This is because skim milk (or any low-fat milk) has lower fat content and makes the half and half have a much thinner consistency.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This give the half and half that creaminess in taste and texture.
How to Make Homemade Half and Half
You’ll be done making this homemade half and half in 30 seconds! It doesn’t get much easier than that. Make sure to store it correctly so it can last a few days in your refrigerator.
- Combine: In a small bowl, using a measuring cup, measure the ingredients and thoroughly combine the milk and cream.
- Shake and Store: If not using immediately, shake or stir well before using. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
What is Homemade Half and Half Used For?
Most people know half and half because this is often used as a coffee creamer. But it has so many more uses than that!
- As a substitution: If you are looking for a great substirutre for heavy cream, you can use half and half. Yes, it still has cream in it but the fat content will be lower making it a healthier choice! I mean, if I can shave off some calories without sacrificing taste, count me in!
- As a creamer: Like I said before, its often used as a creamer in coffee but have you tried it in soda yet? Add a bit to your favorite soda and you will be in for a treat!
- In recipes: Whenever a recipe calls for cream and milk, you can use half and half instead. The half and half creates an extra creamy texture!
How to Store Homemade Half and Half
Once you have made your homemade half and half, you can store it in your fridge. Keep it in an airtight container like a mason jar and it will last about a week! It’s so easy, you are never going to have to buy this at the store again!
How to Make Homemade Half and Half
- ¾ Cup Whole Milk
- ¼ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
In a small bowl, thoroughly combine the milk and cream.
If not using immediately, shake or stir well before using. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
The Recipe Critic
Leave a Reply