Air Fryer French Toast Sticks are a super fun fast way to make breakfast in the morning. Coated in a vanilla and cinnamon egg mixture, these fry up absolutely amazing!
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
My family love french toast, but they go insane when I turn them into french toast sticks. It gives them permission to eat with their fingers. They get to dunk them into warmed homemade maple syrup and they love it. I love how quick and easy is to make. It truly does not take but a minute more to make french toast sticks vs regular and they are so much more fun to eat. I also love how the air fryer transforms them into the Best french toast ever!
When you use the air fryer to cook these french toast sticks, they take on that being “fried” texture without the extra fat and calories. The circulating air beautifully crisps the outsides and leaves the insides soft and tender, but cooked. Using the air fryer you can also control how crispy you want your french toast. It makes french toast sticks magical just like these homemade poptarts, donuts and even grilled cheese sandwiches. You have to check out my other air fryer recipes for the best in air frying!
French Toast Sticks Ingredients
These ingredients are probably sitting in your pantry. Having a good quality bread is key. Pick a bread that is stout and will soak up the egg mixture, but not disintegrate in it.
- Eggs: Large eggs beaten well for the dredging.
- Milk: You can also use heavy cream or half and half.
- Cinnamon: Adds the best bit of flavor.
- Vanilla: The vanilla makes all the difference in the sweetness.
- Texas Toast: You want thick sliced bread that is thick and hearty.
- Brown Sugar: For adding a bit of sweetness to the tops
- Oil: This is for spraying the air fryer, do not use cooking spray
How To Make French Toast Sticks in the Air Fryer
This could not be any easier. Just like making french toast, it only takes one extra step to cut the bread. It’s fun and the whole family is going to love it!
- Egg Mixture: In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Oil: Spray the bottom of the basic with olive oil spray.
- Bread: Cut the Texas toast into 3 sections. Dredge into the egg mixture and place in a single layer in the basket. Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.
- Fry: Cook at 360 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until golden.
- Serve: Serve with syrup and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Tips for The Best French Toast Sticks
Truly the best french toast starts with the bread and what you put in the egg mixture. I have tips for the air fryer too.
- Air Fryer: When you oil the air fryer, do not use a cooking spray. It has additives that over time will leave your air fryer basket gummy and ruin it. You will want to use a pure oil spray with no added solvents or ingredients.
- Do not over crowd: Probably the number one rule when air frying is to not over crowd. If you do the circulating air cannot get all the way around your food and it will cook unevenly or not at all. So leave space and cook in batches if you need to.
- Egg Mixture: To dial up your egg mixture a notch use heavy whipping cream or half and half instead of milk. Trust me it is divine.
- Cinnamon: If you notice the first few bread pieces seem to take all the cinnamon, leaving not much behind for the rest of your bread. Add cinnamon to your egg mixture as you dip and when you notice its disappearing. That way every piece of your french toast sticks will have that divine cinnamon flavor.
- Bread: Yes, a good quality bread is key. But it should also be stale. I know it doesn’t sound appealing but it works. The more dried out the bread the less soggy it will be when it is air fried. If you bread is really fresh, place it in the air fryer for about 1-2 minutes to dry it out a bit before dipping it in the egg mixture.
- What Kind of Bread to Use: Any bread will work, but to get the best results, you want a hearty bread that will stand up to the egg mixture. Texas toast, french bread, brioche, challah, sourdough and even fun bread like cinnamon raisin bread. YUM!
Toppings For Easy French Toast Sticks
Besides dipping them in the best homemade maple syrup you can do a lot with these sticks.
- Syrup: Besides maple you can dip these french toast sticks in other syrups, you can totally get creative, but try, coconut, buttermilk, huckleberry or apricot syrup.
- Spreads: You can spread the sticks with Nutella, caramel sauce, peanut butter or cookie butter.
- Fruit: Serve alongside or on top with your favorite fruit. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas or even try orange zest.
- Nuts: Nuts can be used to top them too, after the whip cream of course to keep them on the french toast sticks. Try chopped pecans, walnuts or pistachios.
- Jam: French toast sticks are easy to dip in jam as well. We love peach, apricot, strawberry or huckleberry jam.
- Chocolate: Chocolate in the morning makes everything better! Sprinkle with chocolate chips, mint chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- Extras: These are not exactly extras, but more of necessities at my house. Dip and spread with butter, whipped cream, sprinkles, powdered sugar or shredded coconut.
Storing and Freezing French Toast Sticks
One thing I love about french toast is how easy it is to make and store. You have to try this trick.
- Make a Double Batch: I will use two loaves of bread when I want to make extras. I spend a little extra time in the beginning but it pays off in the end.
- Freeze Extras: Place cooled french toast sticks on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the freezer for about 20-40 minutes. You just want to partially freeze them.
- Freezer Bags: Then place in a freezer safe sealed bag.
- Eat: On those busy mornings when you need a quick breakfast, grab these french toast sticks and throw them in the air fryer, or microwave. Perfect and fast!
More Breakfast Foods To Love
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so they say. I am all for it. So is my family. In fact we often have breakfast for dinner, it’s a family favorite meal anytime of the day. With so many variations of sweet to savory and hearty to light, there is something for everyone to love. Breakfast meals can be quick and easy or take a little time and planning. Either way you love your breakfasts I have the perfect recipes for you to try.
- The Best Breakfast Casserole
- Incredible Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
- Homemade Biscuits and Gravy
- Quick 45 minute Cinnamon Rolls
- The Best Ever German Oven Pancake
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 slices thick bread Texas toast or French bread
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- olive oil spray
In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
Spray the bottom of the basic air fryer with olive oil spray. Cut the Texas toast into 3 sections. Dredge into the egg mixture and place in a single layer in the basket. Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.
Cook at 360 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until golden. Serve with syrup and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
The Recipe Critic