- ¼ cup + 2 T dark brown sugar
- 1 cup cashew pieces
- 1 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit – ie; chopped figs, chopped prunes or chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins or other dried fruit – ie; chopped figs, chopped prunes or chopped dates
- fresh fruit
- ¼ cup + 2 T maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegetable oil; peanut oil preferred
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ¾ t salt
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 250* F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, salt and brown sugar. Add in the maple syrup and oil and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture thinly and evenly onto two cooking tins with sides about ½ inch high.
- Cook for 45 to 60 minutes stirring carefully every 15 minutes and inter-changing where the cooking tins are placed every time you stir. This will give you more even browning.
- Note: The granola is done when it has a nice tan color, not dark, and can be chewed easily.
- Remove trays from oven. Let granola cool; then mix in dried fruit and place in sealed plastic bags. It will keep for two weeks, unrefrigerated.