- 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- SUGAR-LEMON GLAZE
- 1/8 cup milk, or more as needed
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sweetener (I used half Splenda, half sugar)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups toasted wheat germ
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a standard bundt cake pan with baking spray, or grease and flour.
- Combine both flours, wheat germ, baking soda and salt together with a whisk. Set aside.
- Beat butter and preferred sweetener together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add banana, applesauce, and vanilla, beating well.
- Stir in flour mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix until just moist.
- Pour batter into bundt cake pan and level the top with your spoon as best you can.
- Bake for about an hour. Insert a toothpick into the batter to test for doneness.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes on a wire rack before turning out onto a plate or cake platter.
- Wait for cake to cool completely before applying the glaze.
- Use a whisk to combine all ingredients.
- Add more milk, a tablespoon at a time, as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle over the top of your cooled cake.
- Grate a little lemon zest over the top of the glaze, if desired (optional)
Leave a Reply