- 5 apples, peeled and chopped (I used a combination of Fuji and Honeycrisp)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 25 Ginger Snap cookies (I used Nabisco)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (I use Land O Lakes)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, zest and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Stir to coat the apples thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, add the cookies and pulse until crumbly.
- Pour the cookies into a bowl with the remaining brown sugar and butter. Using a pastry blender or your hands combine the mixture until clumps start to form, about the size of peas.
- Transfer the apples to the baking dish and sprinkle the cookie mixture over top.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake until bubbling, approximately 55-60 minutes. Remove and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving suggestion….top with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!