- 4 cardamoms
- 1 black Cardamom
- 1 small Cinnamon stick
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons black tea leaves
- 2 cups Water
- Boil water in a pan with five spices, black cardamom, green cardamom, crushed pepper corns, cinnamon & cloves (lightly crush to bring out the flavors).
- Cover the pan with lid, as to my experience, there is a huge difference in the aroma of tea made covered and uncovered.
- Bring the water to boil and add Tea Leaves.
- I prefer brewing Taj Mahal Orange Pekoe or Brook Bond “Red Label” for my Chai's, can't beat the flavor.
- Let the tea leaves brew for 4-5 minutes in boiling water.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk and sugar to taste at this point & simmer for few minutes.
- When the tea is done, give it a grace period of another one to two minutes with lid covered, to let the spices lose all their flavor to the chai.
- Use a strainer to filter the tea into your tea cup.
- Lastly, to make every sip a complement, I like to garnish the tea with crushed green cardamom, lends it a great flavor…turning milk-addicts like me into tea lovers…!