- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup semolina [sooji]
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar [adjust to taste]
- 1 1/2 cups Alphonso mango puree [or fresh pureed mangoes]
- 1/4 cup caramalized ginger pieces, chopped fine
- 1/2 tablespoon cup milk+ 3 milk [2%]
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds [or flax meal]
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon [optional]
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg [optional]
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract [optional]
- Raisins [optional but recommended]
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In a small bowl mix flax-seed powder with 3 tbsp milk and set aside.It is necessary to soak this for at least 10 minutes to let the gelatin set up in the mix.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together all flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & ginger powder, nutmeg and salt.Add the caramalized ginger pieces & raisins [if using].Set aside. You can use more nuts !
- In another bowl mix the mango puree, flax-seed mix, vanilla essence, and milk well.
- Now make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the wet mixture.Fold in gently so that everything just comes together.Dont over mix!
- Grease a 9 X 5 loaf tin with oil, and pour the batter into it.Level it with the help of a spatula.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean. Mine took 43 minutes.
- Remove from oven & let it cool in the loaf pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Unmold and transfer to a cooling rack to cool for at least an hour or more before slicing.
- Slice the bread after completely cooled.No prizes for guessing that I was impatient and hence not- so- neat slices in the pics!
- Make sure the consistency of your batter is loose as shown in the picture and too tough else the bread will be dry and texture will be dense.Use mango puree or milk to loosen it.
- The oven settings are different for everybody. Keep a watch on the bread while in oven .
Leave a Reply