- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 mediums carrots, coarsely grated
- 8 ounces low-fat cheddar or Colby cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 29 ounces vegetable broth
- Coat a nonstick medium pot with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Cook onions until they just begin to color. Add carrots, salt, pepper, paprika and mustard. Mix well and continue to cook until carrots begin to soften.
- Add potatoes, broth and half-and-half. Increase heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add cheese and stir to melt; puree in batches in a blender.