Sharing my best Chicken Parmesan recipe with you today with tender, juicy chicken that is full of flavor and a dinner everyone will love!
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is the best kind of pub grub and it is incredibly easy to make at home. Juicy chicken, baked with a simple pasta sauce and cheese straight from the oven is really the best kind of meal. This is a family friendly meal that everyone is going to love. Chicken Parm is easier than you think too. In no time you can have this restaurant worthy meal in the comfort of your own home. It is so good!
Chicken parmesan is a classic American Italian dish that is layered with flavor. It starts with the incredible marinade that infuses the chicken and keeps it tender. Then comes the breading on the chicken that is fried to a perfect golden brown. Then the chicken is smothered in homemade marinara and topped with flavorful ooey gooey melty cheese. This is epic. It is a tried and true insanely delicious, and easy Chicken Parmesan!
Ingredients for Easy Chicken Parmesan
Either buy chicken breasts that are already sliced and thin, or pound them our or slice your own.
- Chicken Breasts: The thinner and more even the chicken the better it will cook
- Salt: Add for seasoning.
- Italian Seasoning Mix: This is one of the best flavor combinations. Make your own for even better flavor.
Breading Around the Chicken
- Flour: Allows it to all come together.
- Eggs: The necessary binder.
- Garlic Powder: Good flavor enhancer.
- Salt: Add more or less to taste.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: Do not substitute for bread crumbs.
- Parmesan: The star of the show, it is called chicken parmesan for a reason.
- Vegetable or Canola Oil: This is used for frying.
Topping the Chicken!
- Pasta Sauce or Marinara: Use your favorite jarred sauce or make your own.
- Mozzarella: For best results use fresh mozzarella.
- Parmesan: Fresh is best.
- Olive Oil: The classic Italian oil.
Making Chicken Parmigiana
Quick and easy, you are going to love this classic gourmet meal.
- Chicken Marinade: Slice Each chicken breast in half lengthwise and sprinkle with salt and Italian seasoning mix. Set aside
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Breading Station: You’ll need 3 dishes for this. Place flour on a plate or shallow dish. In a deep dish, whisk together egg, salt and garlic powder. Mix panko breadcrumbs and parmesan in another dish.
- Flour: First dust the chicken with flour.
- Egg: Then dip it well into the egg mixture. Shake off excess egg.
- Breadcrumbs: Last coat the chicken in the parmesan panko mixture.
- Rest: Place the chicken on a wire rack and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Fry: Heat oil on medium high heat in a skillet to 350 degrees. Place 2 chicken breasts gently in the oil and fry on each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack.
- Bake: Place the fried chicken on a baking tray. Spread sauce on top of each piece of chicken and then top with a mount of grated mozzarella. Sprinkle parmesan and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
Tips for Divine Chicken Parmesan
- Marinate: To get the schnitzel right, marinate them with some salt and Italian seasoning. Just 15 minutes helps infuse the breasts with flavor, and keeps them tender. Do this first while you prepare everything else.
- Panko: Do not substitute regular bread crumbs for panko. Panko breadcrumbs are larger and dryer than normal breadcrumbs so they absorb less moisture producing a much crispier coating.
- Cook Time: Do not worry about your chicken being underdone when you fry it. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven. Focus on frying it a perfect golden color.
- Sauce: You can easily use store bought pasta sauce for this recipe or you can try out simple marinara sauce. Whichever you use, it needs to be a thick consistency. Anything too watery and it’ll make the crumb extremely soggy while baking.
- Cheese: Use fresh mozzarella that you slice or grate yourself. Other mozzarella usually has anti caking agents on them so they don’t melt as nicely.
What to Serve with Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
We love serving Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti tossed in a little olive oil and reserved pasta sauce. But you can also serve it with a side of lightly dressed salad greens, steamed or roasted broccoli, cheesy garlic bread or even mashed potatoes. This has so much flavor that you really don’t need much. Chicken Parmesan is one of the best kind of comfort foods. It looks delicious and tastes absolutely amazing when you serve it on the table!
Leftover Homemade Chicken Parmesan
- Refrigerator: Most of the time there is nothing better than leftover Italian food. The flavors really meld overnight and are better the next day. While the flavors in Chicken Parmesan might be better the next day, it will lose that crispy crust. These will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Reheat: It is best to reheat in the oven, stove top in a frying pan or even air fryer but the microwave is the quickest.
More Parmesan Recipes
Parmesan can take an ordinary dish to extraordinary! It is rich, nutty, salty, fruity, sharp and complex. It makes the any dish divine. The gritty texture makes it perfect for grating and shaving. Parmesan cheese is a flavor enhancer and is awesome as a garnish, or topping cheese. Blend it with other cheeses for impressive fillings with great flavor and texture. For more recipes that showcase the wonders of parmesan try these tried and true favorites.
- Crispy Parmesan Fried Zucchini
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders
- Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken
- Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken
- 2 Chicken Breasts (sliced in half)
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Italian Seasoning Mix
For the Breading
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable or Canola Oil for frying
- 1 cup Pasta Sauce (or Marinara)
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise and sprinkle with salt and italian seasoning mix. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350F
Dust the chicken with flour.
Then dip it well into the egg mixture, shake off excess egg.
Last coat the chicken in the parmesan panko mixture.
Place the chicken on a wire rack and repeat with remaining chicken.
Heat oil on medium high heat in a skillet to 350F. Place 2 chicken breasts (if they fit) gently in the oil and fry on each side for 2.5 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack.
Place the fried chicken on a baking tray. Spread sauce on top of each piece of chicken and then top with a mount of grated mozzarella. Sprinkle parmesan and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
Serve with your favorite side from the options above!
Originally Posted on September 25, 2020
The Recipe Critic