- 1/2 cup butternut squash, cooked
- 1/4 cup quinoa, dry
- 5 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1 organic egg
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or organic butter
- 1 fresh lemon
- 4 whole wheat rolls (optional)
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, ~ 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse butternut squash, 2 oz. feta, 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, red pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, sea salt and pepper until just combined. Fold in the quinoa, the walnuts and the egg.
- Form mixture into four patties. In a large skillet, with a splash of coconut oil or organic butter cook burgers on medium heat until cooked through and crispy on the outside, 8-10 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining feta, 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, lemon juice from half a lemon, and dash of cumin (~1/2 teaspoon). Season with salt and pepper. Serve burgers on a whole wheat roll topped with a few baby greens and creamy feta sauce.
Leave a Reply