- 3/4 cup kefir, cultured buttermilk or water minus 2 Tbsp & add 2
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (or your choice of oil)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour or 1/3 cup whole buckwheat
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons honey (for sweet crepes)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (for sweet crepes)
- Combine kefir (or other), oil and grain in the blender. Blend for about 3 minutes on high or just 30 seconds if using flour. Cover blender and let batter stand overnight at room temp to break down the phytates. After soaking, add egg, salt, honey & cinnamon (if making sweet style). Blend till well mixed.
- Rub your cast iron pan with oil and get it nicely hot, but not smokey. Have a napkin ready for rubbing more in between crepes. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan and quickly tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly to the edges. Mix your batter each time before making each new crepe. Cook till edges are browned and loosen along the edges with a thin table knife or spatula. Turn over crepe and cook for about 30 seconds. Turn over onto a plate and keep it warm with a light towel covering it. Rub more oil on pan and continue till batter is used up.
- Top with Creamy Honey Cheese, your choice of fruit and syrup. For the blackberry syrup… I cooked the berries with a little water till they were mush, added arrowroot powder and boiled it gently till it thicken. Then I added honey and pour the mixture in my blender. Gave it a whirl till smooth and poured into a jar to serve. Simple, tart and sweet!
Leave a Reply