Asian turkey lettuce wraps are packed with tender meat and seasoned, crunchy veggies. These light and tasty wraps are the perfect healthy appetizer or even dinner!
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
After the holidays, I am ready to set goals and think more about healthy recipes that are still flavorful! These Asian turkey lettuce wraps are delicious, nutritious, and full of flavor. They are quick, easy to cook, and simple to put together and eat, all under 30 minutes. They work as a tasty appetizer or even a great lunch!
With the holidays over and being back into a routine, I need to make quick and easy meals. Our schedule went from lazy to crazy again really quickly! These Asian turkey lettuce wraps are an excellent option for those busy weeknights. If you have more time and want to make some more delicious Asian recipes to go with this, then try out these yummy egg rolls and Mongolian beef!
Ingredients You Need to Make Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
These lettuce wraps are so delicious and full of healthy ingredients. Feel free to add or take away whatever you need to make these perfect for you! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Ground turkey: I like to use ground turkey because it’s a great healthy option. You can also use ground beef if that’s what you have on hand.
- Shredded carrots: It’s easiest just to buy a bag of matchstick carrots from the store.
- Mushrooms: Chop these up into small pieces.
- Water chestnuts: These add in that delicious crunch to the wraps.
- Green onions: The green onions fill these lettuce wraps with flavor.
- Garlic clove: If you don’t have a fresh garlic clove on hand then you can use minced garlic instead. ½ tsp equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Hoisin sauce: Buy this at the store or make this homemade hoisin sauce!
- Soy sauce: I used low sodium soy sauce in this recipe to keep things healthier.
- Rice wine vinegar: This is used in a lot of Asian recipes so I like to always have some on hand.
- Red chili paste: This adds in a little heat and some delicious flavor!
- Butter lettuce leaves: You can also use Boston or Iceberg lettuce instead.
Let’s Make Some Lettuce Wraps!
These Asian turkey lettuce wraps take less than 30 minutes to throw together! So eat them up as a meal or use them as an appetizer. Your guests will go crazy for them!
- Cook turkey and then add veggies: In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat, add the ground turkey. Cook and crumble until it is almost cooked throughout. Add carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onions and garlic. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until turkey is cooked and veggies are tender.
- Add sauces and simmer: Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and chili paste. Stir and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Serve on butter lettuce leaves.
What Lettuce Should I Use?
You can use a few different types of lettuce with these Asian turkey lettuce wraps. Here are a few ideas and the differences between them!
- Iceberg Lettuce: This gives them a nice crispiness but they are harder to roll compared to other lettuce types.
- Bib Lettuce, Boston or Green Leaf: They all have a large, loose head and a dark green leaf.
- Butter Lettuce: This is what is recommended because is a softer lettuce with thick, large leaves and it’s easy to roll.
How to Store Leftovers
These Asian turkey lettuce wraps make fantastic leftovers! Place the turkey mixture in an airtight container and the lettuce in a separate airtight container. Put them in the fridge, and these leftovers will last 2-3 days. When you are ready to eat them, reheat the turkey mixture in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (or until heated through) and place it on a cold piece of lettuce. Wrap and enjoy!
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 6 ounce mushrooms (coarsely chopped)
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts (8 ounce, drained and coarsely chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red chili paste
- 12 butter lettuce leaves (Boston and Iceberg lettuce will also work!)
In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground turkey. Cook and crumble until it is almost cooked throughout. Add carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onions, and garlic. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until turkey is cooked and veggies are tender.
Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and chili paste. Stir and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Serve on butter lettuce leaves.
Originally Posted on December 30, 2018
The Recipe Critic