- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter cold unsalted butter<
- cup ice water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 larges red apples, such as Golden Delicious, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves, melted and strained
- In a food processor, pulse 1 1/2 cups of the flour with the salt. Add the cold butter and process just until the butter is the size of peas, about 5 seconds. Sprinkle the ice water over the mixture and process just until moistened, about 5 seconds. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead 2 or 3 times, just until it comes together. Pat the dough into a disk. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 16- to 17-inch round about 1/4 inch thick.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it onto the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the sugar with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour and sprinkle over the dough. Arrange the apple slices on top in overlapping concentric circles to within 3 inches of the edge. Fold the dough over the apples in a free-form fashion. Brush the apples with the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon. Refrigerate the unbaked tart until slightly chilled, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bake the tart in the center of the oven for 1 hour, or until the apples are tender and golden and the crust is deep golden and cooked through. Brush the apples with the melted preserves. Slide the parchment onto a wire rack and let the tart cool slightly before serving.
Leave a Reply