- 3 large McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces (½ a 12-ounce package) butterscotch chips
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly combine the oil, eggs and sugar. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, soda and spices together in a bowl, then add to the oil mixture in the mixer, beating until thoroughly mixed. The batter will be thick.
- Use a sturdy spoon to stir in the apple pieces. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle the butterscotch chips over the top, pressing them into the batter lightly.
- Bake for 45 minutes to one hour, until the golden and pulling away from the sides of the pan slightly.
- Cool thoroughly and cut into squares.
- Makes 24 bars