- Red chilli powder : to taste, optional
- Cinnamon stick : 1 big
- Cumin powder : 1 tbsp. Take the cumin seeds in a pan and dry roast on low flame for a minute or less till they turn slightly brown. Don't burn. Cool and grind in coffee grinder. Use 1 tbsp.
- Pear : 1 big washed and cut in cubes
- Brown sugar or regular : to taste or 1/2 cup
- Black pepper and Salt to taste
- Soak dates, red dry whole chillies and cinnamon stick together for 1-2 hrs
- Cut the fruits. I had cut them early so I soaked them in 2 tbsp vinegar to avoid discoloring. Or else, the vinegar can be added later on.
- Blend the soaked dates, cinnamon, red chili whole, ginger and the fruits, everything in the blender to purée.
- In a pan, add brown sugar and the purée. Add salt and pepper and cumin powder. Cook till water is evaporated on low flame. It may take from 1/2 hr to 1 hr, depending upon the water content of the fruit.
- Cool the chutney and store in air tight jar in the fridge .
- Enjoy with crackers, on sandwiches, on toasted crostinis, as a dip with cream cheese for your more fancy party crackers and pretzels.