- 115 grams Cake flour, sifted
- 1 cup Confectioners sugar, sifted
- 9 large Egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 330 grams Sugar (I use only 200 grams)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Beat egg whites until frothy, add salt, lemon juice and extracts. Add sugar a little at a time; continue beating until whites are glossy and stiff.
- Using the rubber spatula, gradually fold in the flour, 1/3 at a time, until flour is incorporated. Be sure that you use a true folding motion, gently turning the spatula from the bottom of the bowl to the top, folding in air with each stroke as opposed to beating or stirring.
- Pour batter into an ungreased, 26cm tube pan. Bake one hour or until top is golden brown. As soon as the cake is done, turn the tin upside down and suspendd its funnel over the neck of a bottle. Let cook, about 1 hour.
- While cake is cooling prepare the icing. In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Let stand ten minutes before glazing the cake as it thickens a little.