- 3/4 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 packed brown sugar (I used Splenda Brown Sugar to help c
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 egg yolks
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 packed brown sugar (again, I used Splenda Brown Sugar)
- 1/4 cup Sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, butter, egg yolks, lime zest, baking powder, and salt until crumbly and mealy.
- Press into the bottom of an ungreased 4″ x 8″ loaf pan. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add the brown sugar and lime juice a bit at a time until stiff (should look like a meringue).
- Spread evenly on top of the bottom layer. Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top evenly.
- Bake in a hot oven for about 30 minutes or until the meringue is set and lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely. Take a sharp wet knife and run along the pan edge to loosen the meringue, cut into squares.
- Serve at room temperature.