The perfect bite-sized appetizer, air fryer sausage stuffed mushrooms are hearty and meaty with a flavorful sausage filling your family won’t be able to get enough of! They work great as both an appetizer and a side dish to complement your favorite meals!
Stuffed vegetables are a great low-carb and keto-friendly snack! Not to mention, they have the most amazing flavor and texture! Taco stuffed avocados, stuffed poblano peppers, and air fryer stuffed peppers are just a few more tasty ideas!
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms in the Air Fryer
Mushroom lovers, this one’s for you! Mushrooms are so versatile and there are so many recipes on the blog that I love. (Find my full list of recipes here!) But to be completely honest, these air fryer sausage stuffed mushrooms are one of the best mushroom recipes out there! I used baby bella mushrooms for the perfect size and earthy, meaty flavor! But let’s talk about this filling you guys… it takes the flavor to another level!
Tasty hot sausage, cream cheese, parmesan, and garlic all combine to create a filling that is the perfect balance of cheesy and flavorful (with a hint of spice!). The cream cheese mixture gets this perfect golden brown coating when you cook it. It’s absolutely scrumptious! My kids usually avoid vegetables like the plague but they love these air fryer stuffed mushrooms. They’re the perfect size and filled with irresistible flavor! Make them as an appetizer or a dinner side and I promise they’ll be a hit!
Stuffed Mushroom Ingredients
Here’s everything you need to make this amazing side! And did I mention these are keto-friendly? They’re high in protein and low in carbs for the perfect macro-friendly side! Measurements for each of the ingredients listed below can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms: I used baby bella mushrooms here, but white button mushrooms work too! If you want bigger pieces, you can use portobello mushrooms as well. You may just need to add a minute or 2 of cooking time.
- Hot Pork Sausage: Because the filling is quite cheesy and creamy, I like to balance out flavors by using spicy pork sausage. You can use Italian sausage if you’re wanting a more mild flavor!
- Olive Oil: Used for sauteeing the vegetables in.
- Onion: Diced onion adds a pop of sharp flavor.
- Minced Garlic: A must for the best savory flavor!
- Cream Cheese: Acts as the cheesy base for the filling mixture.
- Egg Yolk: Helps bind everything together when it’s cooking!
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated parmesan adds the best punch of cheesy goodness. You can also use cheddar cheese as a yummy, melty alternative.
- Fresh Parsley: I use this as garnish. It’s the perfect finishing touch!
- Salt and Pepper: Add both to season your air fryer sausage stuffed mushrooms as desired!
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms in the Air Fryer
If you’re looking for an impressive side that comes together in a pinch, this is it! It only takes 5 minutes to cook these delicious sausage stuffed mushrooms. With how amazing these both look and taste, your guests will never know!
- Sauté Sausage and Vegetables: Pop off the stems of the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage and drain. Set aside to cool. In the same skillet add the olive oil, onion, garlic, and chopped mushroom stems. Sauté for about 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare Filling Mixture: In a medium bowl add cream cheese and egg yolk. Stir together with parmesan cheese and parsley. Add cooled sausage and onion mixture and combine until incorporated.
- Fill Mushrooms: Stuff each mushroom with the mixture making a small mound on the top.
- Cook and Serve: Place in your air fryer basket and cook at 390 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until golden on top.
Tips for Cooking Mushrooms in the Air Fryer
These are just a few ways you can make sure you’re getting the most delicious golden result out of every batch! With their amazing flavor and short cooking time, air fryer sausage stuffed mushrooms are an appetizer to come back to time and time again!
- Clean Mushrooms: Most mushrooms are packaged in the dirt they’re grown in, so be sure to wash them off before cooking.
- Don’t Overcrowd Basket: When cooking your sausage stuffed mushrooms in the air fryer, airflow is so important! Make sure there is plenty of room between each mushroom so that they can cook through properly.
If you have leftover stuffed mushrooms, good news! They’re great for storing and can be heated up for a quick and hearty snack.
- In the Refrigerator: Store sausage stuffed mushrooms in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- To Reheat: For fresh, delicious flavor, I always pop my leftovers in the air fryer for a couple of minutes at 350 degrees F. You can also use an oven to reheat them. Lay your mushrooms evenly on a baking sheet and cook for about 10 minutes at 325 degrees F.
Air Fryer Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 ounce baby Bella mushrooms or white button mushrooms
- 1/2 pound Hot Pork Sausage
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Onion Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic Finely Minced
- 8 ounce Cream Cheese softened
- 1 whole Egg Yolk
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- Salt And Pepper to taste
Pop off the stems to the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside. In a medium skillet brown the sausage and drain. Set aside to cool. In the same skillet add the olive oil, onion, garlic, and chopped mushroom stems. Sauté for about 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
In a medium sized bowl add cream cheese and egg yolk. Stir together with parmesan cheese and parsley. Add cooled sausage and onion mixture and combine until incorporated.
Stuff each mushroom with the mixture making a small mound on the top.
Place in the basket of your air fryer and cook at 390 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until golden on top.
The Recipe Critic